Summer Camps Rule for SGHY Middle School Students.
Sophie Gerson long advocated a holistic approach to education. This includes summer camps. With scholarships for our middle school students whose families cannot afford camp we have observed truly amazing positive impact. You can see for yourself A week at camp can last them a lifetime, with the new experiences, friendships, skills, healthy fun, self-confidence, and dreams.
Our schools’ general program sleepaway camp choice has become Camp Zeke, because of its outstanding camp staff, facility and program, aligned with SGHY values. Camp Zeke is located on a private lake in the Poconos. It offers swimming, boating, and the range of sports, arts, and dance, plus cooking and summer camp fun. Zeke places an emphasis on healthy living, good nutrition, kindness, friendship, and lots of fun!
Our other specialized camps include the following top rated, best-in-their-field sleep away and day camps, which all include general recreation as well as specialties:
- For Tennis: the Julian Krinsky Tennis Program, on the Haverford campus;
- For Basketball: Hoop Group, also located in the Poconos;
- For Science and robotics, The Julian Krinsky Science program, on the Haverford campus
- For Basketball, Tennis, Flag Football, and Baseball: Kids of Summer, day camp held in Riverside Park on the Hudson River
- For Volleyball: Future Stars, day camp on the SUNY Purchase campus.
- For Space Science, the Digital Universe Day Camp at the Hayden Planetarium,
- For Outdoor Tent Camping: the Sierra Club ICO, at Harriman State Park on the lake
- For Ecological Science: the sleep away program on Columbia’s Lamont Doherty Earth Institute campus.
You can help make more of these unforgettable experiences happen by making a donation. SGHY’s daily discounted cost for sleepaway camp is $75 for each child. For $525 you can give a student a whole week! It’s deductible, too.